Re: Htslib plugins [EXT]

Hi,

James Bonfield, on 2022-10-19:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 10:27:24AM -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> > James Bonfield <jkb@sanger.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > 	--with-plugin-path='/usr/local/lib/htslib:/usr/local/libexec/htslib:$(plugindir)'
> >
> > I haven't been involved with this package, but I suspect that line was
> > supposed to have a double dollar sign so as to yield a reference to your
> > build system's plugindir variable.  Thanks for the report!
>
> Yes.  My colleague pointed out after I sent the email that it's our
> own Makefile with declares $plugindir.  (I should have known, but it's
> a little byzantine at times.)
>
> So this is a quoting problem. As you say maybe $$ or another form of
> quoting will resolve it.
>
> It may be worth revisiting patches/disable_plugin_loading_test.patch
> afterwards too.  It's possible the reason the plugin test was disabled
> was due to incorrectly configured plugins, but I'm not certain on
> that.  Our upstream CI does run this test though and it's not needed
> access to external networks to run so I don't see any fundamental
> reason it has to be disabled in the Debian build environment.
>
> It's possible the lack of a plugin is then causing the library to
> fall back to another access method, which is what's being seen here.

It possible yes.  For reference I have the following output when
I bring back the test in the suite:

	test_plugin_loading:
		HTS_PATH=/<<PKGBUILDDIR>> /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/test/with-shlib.sh /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/htsfile https://localhost:99999/invalid_port

		[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3w
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3w+http
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3w+https
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3+http
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for s3+https
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for gs
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for gs+http
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for gs+https
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for dict
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for file
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for ftp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for ftps
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for gopher
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for gophers
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for http
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for https
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for imap
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for imaps
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for ldap
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for ldaps
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for mqtt
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for pop3
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for pop3s
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for rtmp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for rtsp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for scp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for sftp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for smb
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for smbs
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for smtp
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for smtps
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for telnet
	[W::hfile_add_scheme_handler] Couldn't register scheme handler for tftp
	htsfile: can't open "https://localhost:99999/invalid_port": Protocol not supported

	.. failed ...

The "Protocol not supported" error sounds related to the github
issue.  That being said, I haven't managed to get the suite to
work after adjusting the build to account properly for the
plugindir variable, neither by doubling $ symbols to account for
internal build system variables, nor by defining the variables
at the head of the d/rules yet.

Thanks for the hints!
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da