Re: spades: truspades command deprecation since v3.15

Hi Nilesh,

Nilesh Patra, on 2022-07-24:
> On 7/24/22 12:55 PM, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> >    * Is it still worth testing/fixing truspades, given that
> >      getting it sorted does not look very obvious on first sight,
> >      or should I just comment out truspades self-test in the
> >      autopkgtest?
>
> If it is unsupported then it probably isn't worth our time either.

Thank you for your suggestion, it makes sense.  In that case,
I consider running the self-test, but just outputing a warning
when the command fails them.

> >    * Should I drop a NEWS item to notify end users?
>
> While it gives a warning, IMHO it still does not hurt to add in a NEWS entry to
> notify the users.

Current draft NEWS entry looks like the below; I'm sure there is
room for improvement:

-------8<--------------8<--------------8<--------------8<-------
spades (3.15.5+dfsg-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

  Since version 3.15, the truspades command is deprecated.  According to
  upstream[1], the technology behind truspades is a thing of the past:

  > Thanks for the report. truSPAdes is not maintained anymore for many reasons
  > (the technology is dead, etc.), so these issues will likely be fixed in
  > radical way when truSPAdes will be deprecated and removed

  [1]: https://github.com/ablab/spades/issues/560#issuecomment-675915841

  It is quite possible that the truspades version still provided by Debian Med
  is not working well anymore.  At least it has been noticed that it failed its
  self-test since version 3.15.5.  The test fails by not outputting the
  assemble scaffolds file then supposed to be processed by the `bwa` program in
  the sample workflow.

  The command truspades will probably not make it beyond spades version 3.16.

 -- Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>  Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:05:54 +0200
------->8-------------->8-------------->8-------------->8-------

I'm a bit concerned that there are no ways to replace the
command by something else, but I assume truspades is going away
for good reasons.

> PS: I am not a user of the package, but only suggesting here.

Neither am I a spades user, for the record.  I'm taker of
further details on the topic if someone is from the field.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da