Re: suggesting dnarrange and lamassemble

Hi Martin and Katoh,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 06:40:51PM +0900, Frith, Martin wrote:
> Dear Nilesh and Debian Med
> (cc MAFFT author Katohさん)
>
> I have partly tracked down this lamassemble issue. First, I tested
> lamassemble on x86_64: the tests passed as expected. Then, I recompiled
> MAFFT after adding "-m32" to CFLAGS, which compiled it in 32-bit mode. Now,
> the tests in
> lamassemble/tests/lama-tests.sh
> do not give the expected results, as you found.

Thanks a lot for digging in!!

> So it seems that MAFFT sometimes outputs different results in 32-bit mode,
> versus 64-bit mode.
>
> I speculate that this is due to floating point calculations, which can
> produce different results in 32-bit versus 64-bit mode. I think this is
> because CPUs use "extended precision" in one mode but not the other. This
> is arguably not a "bug". I guess this must be a frequently occurring issue,
> how does Debian usually resolve it?

For floating point issues on i386, usually using a `-ffloat-store` flag during
compilation does the trick. I compiled mafft on i386 chroot using the same and tried
testing but unfortunately that does not help (it fails with same errors)

If nothing comes up, I'll disable testing on i386.

--
Best,
Nilesh