Re: Added autopkgtest for busco - Closes #1010653

Hi Andreas,

On 2022-06-07 12:34, Andreas Tille wrote:
>>> This is perfectly in line with the request of ftpmaster to keep the
>>> debian/ dir "sensibly" small and I'm pretty sure ftpmaster would have
>>> been rejected the package if the data would have been under debian/
>>> (we had such cases in the past).  There are borderline cases where
>>> only a "few" data files are needed but in this case the debian-tests-data
>>> tarball is even an order of magnitude larger than the actual source
>>> package - so this case is pretty clear.
>>>
>>> Its actually also not that complicated and documented in Debian Med
>>> policy[4] (thanks to Nilesh).
>> To me this looks like an intricate evasion of unclear policy
>> requirements. 26 MB of uncompressed textual data is "sensibly" small to
>> me. Are there any actual guidelines from ftpmaster on what is not
>> "sensible"?
> The only guideline *I* know is that the limit is way lower than you
> think. :-(  I've seen rejects for **way** lower data sets - in this case
> even my gut feeling says here a multi-source tarball is the right way to
> go.

Interesting. I maintain a package with ~80 MBs in debian/. But again,
maybe I will get a REJECT next time it has to clear NEW. It would be
nice to have a rule of thumb to implement in lintian, but from [5] I
gather this is not that easy.

I understand that I am probably not seeing the whole picture, thus
please do not take me questioning the status quo personally. I ACK your
efforts to find the solution that works.

I personally find multi-source tarballs (MUT) tricky to use (for
example, will gbp import-orig handle them?). Actions to make one as per
[4] are just way too many. I know MUTs are widely used in JS team, but
again I mostly managed to avoid them and always got my packages ACCEPTED
(I have heard about REJECTs of packages that are too small, though).
Furthermore, I think MUTs have to be properly documented. Policy [4]
does not say where should I find the source for debian-tests-data/ or
how to update it. In JS team usually there is some automation, mostly in
debian/watch. For both busco and stringtie the descriptions are in
debian/tests/README. Could this also be referenced in [4] then?

I personally much more like Russ's suggestion of a Debian binary package
for various test data [6]. Maybe there is not much of an overlap between
packages, indeed. I frequently reuse datasets from other packages for
tests, but maybe this is because I concentrate on a specific area.

Again, pardon my ignorance. Most of what you and @Nilesh said was new to
me. I should have kept myself up-to-date with the policy.

[4] https://med-team.pages.debian.net/policy/#embedding-large-test-data
[5] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2020/09/msg00197.html
[6] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2020/09/msg00198.html

Best wishes,