Re: Added autopkgtest for busco - Closes #1010653

Hi Andreas,

On 2022-06-07 09:57, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On 2022-06-06 22:37, Mohd Bilal wrote:
>>> I have added an autopkgtest for busco[1] as mentioned in bug report[2].
>>> The license for the test data needs to be added. I have opened an
>>> issue[3] upstream asking for clarification. Requesting someone to review
>>> my changes .
>
> Cool.  Just uploaded after checking.  Upload permissions granted in
> case further uploads might be necessary.

Erm. Was not the original intent to wait for the upstream clarification
of the license of this data? And what about mention in debian/copyright?
If the ftpmaster reviews were properly done for every upload, this
upload should be rejected, IMHO.

>>> [1] - https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/busco
>>> [2] - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1010653
>>> [3] - https://gitlab.com/ezlab/busco/-/issues/566
>>
>> Thanks a lot for pushing forward with this. Can you tell me why you
>> decided to add 'debian-tests-data' component instead of just putting
>> test files somewhere under debian/? IMO this unnecessarily complicates
>> the source package, but I would like to hear other opinions too.
>
> This is perfectly in line with the request of ftpmaster to keep the
> debian/ dir "sensibly" small and I'm pretty sure ftpmaster would have
> been rejected the package if the data would have been under debian/
> (we had such cases in the past).  There are borderline cases where
> only a "few" data files are needed but in this case the debian-tests-data
> tarball is even an order of magnitude larger than the actual source
> package - so this case is pretty clear.
>
> Its actually also not that complicated and documented in Debian Med
> policy[4] (thanks to Nilesh).

To me this looks like an intricate evasion of unclear policy
requirements. 26 MB of uncompressed textual data is "sensibly" small to
me. Are there any actual guidelines from ftpmaster on what is not
"sensible"?

> You probably did not followed all GSoC mails we exchanged with Bilal
> but it was one of the first lessons we teached him. ;-)

If they were exchanged in debian-med@, I clearly missed them.

Best wishes,
Andrius