Re: soname question

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 9:41 am Andrius Merkys, <merkys@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Maarten & Nilesh,

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021, 21:09 Nilesh Patra, <nilesh@tchncs.de> wrote:
Do remember to add a Breaks+Replaces on the old SONAME when the new one gets in.

AFAIK, thete is no need for Breaks+Replaces unless both old and new packages contain conflicting files.

Indeed, please don't add Beaks/Replaces soname bumps.  They are actively harmful to the transition.
If you have conflicting files, please take this occasion already to move them out to some -common binary package, so that the previous and new library packages are coinstallable.

Also please see https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions on how to manage what you are doing (the process is not required if know what you are doing, you are controlling all the reverse-deps, and the number of rdeps is very small)

> Or do I simply revert the SONAME and pray no one notices the binary difference. The last option is easiest, but of course not the best.

We should never break ABI, so this last option should never be done.

+1

That would be a grave Policy violation that can very easily get your package kicked out of testing, so....