Re: Autopkgtest for perm

On 8/2/21 6:30 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Shruti,
>
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 04:50:36PM +0530, Shruti Sridhar wrote:
>> I have written autopkgtests for perm[1]
>>
>> The package initially failed blhc in the pipeline but when I fixed the
>> error [2]

Congratulations, you found a security issue as it seems.
I'm happy that enabling blhc is doing a sensible job

>> the autopkgtest which was initially working fails [3].
>
> The autopkgtest says:
>
> Info 3: Sortubg buckets using 2 CPUs                                          .
> *** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
> Info 3: Successfully made the index
>
> My guess is that enabling hardening options has uncovered some memory leak.
> I'd recommend firing up gdb and try finding the issue.

The basic problem is that it has several instances of strcpy and sprintf, which are
famously known for causing buffer overflows.

I think the sensible option is to replace these with strlcpy and strcat when needed.

But the problem is that the code needs a lot of refactoring, rewriting and debugging to get these things in properly.
So I am tempted to say that we should consider to remove perm from the archive.
Upstream is dead, and I do not think it is worth keeping this in anymore

What do you think?

Nilesh