Re: Worth packaging LBFGSpp?

Hi Nilesh,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 01:03:45PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:

> I was updating bustools to latest release (only making changes in salsa
> for now due to freeze)
> and I noticed that this new version has 3 dependencies which is vendored
> along with it[1]
> Since it is always better to use packaged libs, I decided to move with
> this idea.
>
> It has 3 dependencies: eigen, CppNumericalSolvers-v1, LBFGSpp-2020-03-06
>
> eigen is already in archive, and I packaged cppnumericalsolvers and
> uploaded. Then patched the build system to use the packaged libraries,
> and repacked these two.

Thanks a lot for this.  Please note that software using eigen has quite
some record to stick on specific versions.  We should keep this in mind
when writing tests.

> Now, for the third dependency LBFGSpp-2020-03-06, this lives at: https://github.com/yixuan/LBFGSpp
> and based on the README, it is derived and modified from https://github.com/chokkan/liblbfgs
> so it is a sort of fork of the latter.
>
> Now, https://github.com/chokkan/liblbfgs is available in the archive as src:liblbfgs
> Packaging a fork is most of the times suboptimal, and I was looking for
> alternatives here.
>
> I've thought of these (possible solutions):
>
> 1. Somehow convince both to get their changes merged (unlikely to
> happen since they have diverged quite a bit now) nevertheless I did open
> an issue here[2]

This is my most prefered option.  Thanks for taking up the ball and open
the issue.

> 2. Carry the copy of this in the dependencies/ dir and use it (this is
> the current state of the repository in salsa)
>
> 3. Actually package the fork and move ahead.

Lets wait for responses to the issue you opened first.

4. Asking bustools upstream why they picked this actual fork instead of
   liblbfgs.  May be they can adapt to what we have packaged.

> I'm unsure as to what would be the best thing to do here, and I'd really
> appreciate any help/opinions
>
> Let me know  what you'd think about this

Kind regards and thanks again for your work on this

     Andreas.