Worth packaging LBFGSpp?

Hi,

I was updating bustools to latest release (only making changes in salsa
for now due to freeze)
and I noticed that this new version has 3 dependencies which is vendored
along with it[1]
Since it is always better to use packaged libs, I decided to move with
this idea.

It has 3 dependencies: eigen, CppNumericalSolvers-v1, LBFGSpp-2020-03-06

eigen is already in archive, and I packaged cppnumericalsolvers and
uploaded. Then patched the build system to use the packaged libraries,
and repacked these two.

Now, for the third dependency LBFGSpp-2020-03-06, this lives at: https://github.com/yixuan/LBFGSpp
and based on the README, it is derived and modified from https://github.com/chokkan/liblbfgs
so it is a sort of fork of the latter.

Now, https://github.com/chokkan/liblbfgs is available in the archive as src:liblbfgs
Packaging a fork is most of the times suboptimal, and I was looking for
alternatives here.

I've thought of these (possible solutions):

1. Somehow convince both to get their changes merged (unlikely to
happen since they have diverged quite a bit now) nevertheless I did open
an issue here[2]

2. Carry the copy of this in the dependencies/ dir and use it (this is
the current state of the repository in salsa)

3. Actually package the fork and move ahead.

I'm unsure as to what would be the best thing to do here, and I'd really
appreciate any help/opinions

Let me know  what you'd think about this

[1]: https://github.com/BUStools/bustools/tree/master/dependencies
[2]: https://github.com/yixuan/LBFGSpp/issues/19

Nilesh