Re: Outreachy project: complete workflows of tools

On 03/03/2021 23:21, Tassia Camoes Araujo wrote:
[...]
Reading the list archive I saw a message by Tony Travis as a great
example of solving biological problems with our tools: "I use the
software you've packaged for my own work on the molecular genetics of
drought-tolerance and Nitrogen-use-efficiency in Rice and for studies of
the micro-virome of Tsetse files and Mosquitoes as well as for the
cancer genomics work on the cluster at the Mario Negri Institute in
Milan."

Hi, Tassia.

I've worked with the Debian-Med team for many years, starting with my contribution to the Bio-Linux project:

http://environmentalomics.org/bio-linux/

I'm now 'last man standing' on the Bio-Linux project, which is now entirely supported by the Debian-Med team. I install 'Bio-Linux' from a customised Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 LTS 'live' USB-stick with "med-bio" and "med-bio-dev" plus "x2goserver" and Bioconda.

One of the most important aspects of the Bio-Linux project was good documentation and tutorials about the software included. We used Bio-Linux 'live' instances booted from USB-sticks or VM's to teach bioinformatics tutorial courses and I continue to do this from time to time. In particular, I am currently employed part-time on a UK/India SANH project at the University of Aberdeen to teach GWAS and other methods and I'm helping researchers in India install "med-bio" from Debian-Med under Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 LTS on their computers for GWAS.

Thanks for your interest!

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk