[solved] porting brian on MIPS and POWER, or dropping support

Hi all,

The build went well on all architectures not missing build
dependencies[1].  The current implementation injects no compiler
optimisation in the state updater steps, so by playing safe the
package proved to be rather portable.

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=brian

I feel like I generated a lot of noise while the issue could be
solved with little change actually, I apologize for this but am
grateful for your time.

Thanks Nilesh for having beaten me at closing the request for
removal!  :)

Michael Crusoe, on 2021-01-30 19:31:42 +0100:
> If it is truly for local use, then -march=native is great, but not every
> architecture supports "-march=native", so you may need to add work arounds
> for archs that don't have that gcc option.
>
> Here is the result of some reading of the gcc manual page
>
> -march=native & -mtune=native is valid in gcc for the following Debian
> archs:
>
> arm*
> mips*
> s390x
> i386/amd64/x32
>
> but not these
>
> HPPA
> M68k
> riscv64
> power*/ppc* (no -march at all, but does have -mcpu=native and -mtune=native)
> alpha (no -march at all, but does have -mcpu=native and -mtune=native)
> sh4 (no -march at all, no -mcpu either)
> sparc64 (no -march at all, but does have -mcpu=native and -mtune=native)
> ia64 (no -march, has -mtune but not -mtune=native)

Thanks Michael for this precious information, I will use it to
bring back some performance to these brian functions, at cost of
complexity perhaps, once brian is back to Testing, in the coming
week hopefully.

Have a nice Sunday everyone,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da