Should we standardize a way to create and maintain manpages?

Hi,

While I was updating a few packages with the nice routine-update tool, I observed that it does not update the manpages automatically, and there's a chance that a newer version gets to the archive with an old manpage, unfortunately.

Currently, a large number of packages use the createmanpages[1] script which fundamentally relies on the fact that the user has the latest version of the package installed on their machine - so as to generate the manpage from the installed binaries

Hence, I do not see a good way to integrate it with routine-update or any automation tool for that matter to use the createmanpages script directly since this needs manual intervention somehow.

I'd like mentioning that there's a good chance that someone might forget to install the newly built binaries, and re-run the createmanpages script to generate manpages.

As a result, I was wondering if there might be some way to automate this bit, or alternatively, use help2man during build time itself and nuke d/createmanpages and d/*.1 as a workaround.
And hence, maybe it is a good idea to standardize one practice across team to avoid such delta in manpage with versions?

Please let me know what you'd think is the best way forward.

(I do not see an _official policy_ way to create manpages in the team policy or anywhere else, that is expected since every developer has their own way of maintaining one)

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/helper-scripts/-/blob/master/createmanpages