Re: [RFS] hyphy update 2.5.18

Hi Étienne,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:21:04PM +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> Last week I begun working on updating the package hyphy[0],
> which is listed among the outdated packages tabular[1], and it
> turned out to require quite a lot of small little changes
> actually.  If you wish to review the package, be careful to have
> enough spare time ahead; I believe there are things that might
> need extra care, such as autopkgtest results consistency, or
> things I could have forgotten since then.

Thanks a lot for your thorough work on this.  The changelog looks
impressive.  Thanks for spotting that gtest is actually unneeded.

> [0] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/hyphy
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/helper-scripts/-/blob/master/outdated_med-packages.txt
>
> I tried to ensure the build kept being reproducible, at least on
> amd64, and tried to make sure predictable results were not too
> far off scale between at least amd64, arm64 and riscv64.  There
> is one change in the source code I had to do to fix a build
> issue when advanced x86_64 instruction sets (sse3, avx) are
> disabled, on which I would welcome having a few more eyeball
> making sure it is consistent;

I wonder whether Michael (in CC) might like to do some comments
regarding simde here?

> namely fix_brace_mismatch.patch.
> In an early version I think I misplaced the missing brace, but
> it did not result in a build error.

I think having a comment from upstream here would be the best idea.  Do
you want to open an issue about this?  I remember upstream was very
responsive when I had some contact several years ago.

> There are a few things that might be worth highlighting, but
> that would probably be a repetition of the debian/changelog[2].
>
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/hyphy/-/blob/master/debian/changelog
>
> I'm afraid I ended up being a bit short on free time to hunt for
> the extra points with integration of SIMDe, and free a slot in
> Michael's todo list[3],

Hihi, same idea as I had above.  I think if there is no free slot we
should simply upload as is - may be waiting until weekend for a comment
from upstream.  I removed the tag for the moment since I made some minor
polishing changes and to remember that the package is not uploaded yet.

> or for providing the missing manual
> pages, although the HYPHYMPI --help output looks almost suitable
> for help2man.

I agree that this usually adds some sugar on the package but I also
thing we have heavier things to lift for the moment.  (For sure other
volunteers are welcome all the time!)

> There are also a few misspelling minor issues
> that might need a wee bit of care.

Similar here.  May be pasting the lintian output into an upstream
issue is the easiest way to deal with this.

> [3] https://bugs.debian.org/961382
>
> In hope this helps,

Definitely - as always thanks a lot