Re: How to package human, mouse and viral genomes?

On 03.09.20 23:22, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2020, Steffen Möller wrote:
>
>> The name "datalad" (https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/lad) I definitely like.

I also liked the alternative association as an abbreviation of
"ladder".  Maybe we should stress that a bit more.

Having followed the video on
https://saimei.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2020/DebConf20/52-datalad-decentralized-management-of-digital-objects-for-open-science.webm,
I tend to agree that it fits nicely with many demands, but:

 * sharing data between colleagues - can you have two different versions
at the same time?

 * I see this mostly orthogonal to the question how we organize our data
relative to whatever "dataRoot" we define

 * we still have a community-effort to collect the data from somewhere
(which likely is not a git repository) and post-process it (like some
indexing for a variety of tools) and to finally prepare the data somewhere

 * with some agreement between us on how to formulate the metadata in a
machine-readable manner so we know what tool needs to check out what
files for which workflows

I should now read a bit in your handbook. And think a bit more about it
over the weekend.

Best,

Steffen