How to package human, mouse and viral genomes?

Hello,

We are closing in on the workflows. What is kind of missing are the
mostly invariant inputs like the genomes of pathogens and very much so
the reference genomes of the human, mouse, rat, worm, fly, .... you name
them.

Other than a few years ago, hard drives are now big enough to
accommodate the one or other genome and derivative indexes. Just - I
don't think we want to organize in our regular Debian infrastructure
something as variant as public genome (yes, they are still regularly
updated, very much so) and that is so very security-irrelevant (just
some data). Also, different sites will vary a lot in where this data
shall be organized and all those scripts should likely be
executed/initiated as/by non-root. There are public sites for this from
where this data can be downloaded. Any redundancy to these sites imho
mostly hurts us. The other side is that to just get something up quickly
and for reproducibility tests, our infrastructure is difficult to beat.

Please kindly throw your ideas at me how you would like whole genomes to
be presented by Debian to the average user and to professionals. Just
in a document which I suggest we then talk about in a jitsi meeting.

Best,

Steffen