Re: VirusSeeker: RepeatMasker missed in dependencies (Was: VirusSeeker - sorting the Downloads section)

Hi Everyone,

Charles Plessy, on 2020-05-08 09:19:59 +0900:
> > On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 11:24:00PM +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > >
> > > At some point, I wondered if it would be possible to get
> > > RepeatMasker into "non-free", and having VirusSeeker into
> > > "contrib" then, but I'm not sure that this is legally doable
> > > since VirusSeeker is GPL.
>
> Le Thu, May 07, 2020 at 11:39:18PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> >
> > Hmmm, I do not remember but non-free is ugly for several technical
> > reasons (no autobuilders, no autopkgtests, no QA checks etc.)  Thus
> > the first thing I do is contacting upstream to consider changing
> > their license.  Would you mind doing so?  If yes, I would consider
> > mentioning our COVID-19 sprint and that a free license would support
> > us in our fight against the pandemic.

Thanks Andreas for reminding the technical implications, which
/append/ to the legal ones.

> +1 in principle, but I note that RepeatMasker has TRF (Tandem Repeat
> Finder) in its dependencies, which is also non-free...
>
> http://tandem.bu.edu/trf/trf.license.html

Thanks Charles for having spotted this, let's pull this wire and
see where it leads.  It sounds like licensecheck/scan-copyrights
will be quite useful.

> Have a nice day,

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d