Re: [Git][med-team/python-pauvre][master] patch for build test failing to start

Hi Étienne,

I'mm CCing Debian Med list due to possibly wider interest

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 07:52:06PM +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> Andreas Tille, on 2020-04-25 19:07:10 +0200:
>
> Amusingly, I was beginning to write down an email on this topic;
> but your message showed up first.  :)

:-)

> > thanks a lot for tackling this.  Just a remark.  I think its more
> > flexible if you set PYTHONPATH via
> >
> > override_dh_auto_test:
> > ifeq (,$(filter nocheck,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> > 	PYTHONPATH=$(CURDIR)/...
> > endif
> >
> > The hardcoded path might lead to failures if you intend to re-use
> > that code as autopkgtest or so.
>
> Thanks for the tip!  I was unsure how to put that properly, but
> this looks definitely like a more robust approach; I just
> implemented that.

Nice. :-)

> Not sure what to do about the subsequent
> call to `python3 ../../../pauvre_main.py ...`, but it works at t
> time.

I was wondering about the test script calling some executable named
pauvre which does not exist.  May be the most elegant solution would
rather to add a wrapper script (say debian/bin/pauvre) add

   PATH=$(CURDIR)/debian/bin ...

and simply use this wrapper which does not require any patch of the
code.

> This kind of looks like something to bring up to
> upstream, existing testing assumes the command is in the PATH
> already, but in this testing context I fear it might be error
> prone: it could easily be empty or, worse, point to the
> "outdated" operating system version.

My suggestion above should work around this - but pointing this
out to upstream makes sense.

> Otherwise, I reached a point where I'm under the impression that
> the test suite might depend on external data.  When running the
> test, I hit the following error:
>
> 	FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] File b'/build/python-pauvre-0.1924/.pybuild/cpython3_3.8/build/pauvre/tests/testdata/gff_files/Bf201706.gff' does not exist
>
> But, there is no such .gff file in the whole directory.  There
> are a few references to other repositories in various files, for
> more testing, but haven't located such files yet.

I'd check upstream Git repository.  If you fail to find it there
its probably a good idea to ask upstream.

> > Please keep on the good work.  Its really appreciated
>
> You're welcome, I try my best,

Thanks again