Re: Questions about package test: python-tinyalign and python-pyani

Hi Sao,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 03:16:41AM +0900, Sao I Kuan wrote:
> I'm now trying to add test for "python-tinyalign" and "python-pyani"
> as for GSoC application tasks. I picked those because those were
> listed at [1].
>
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/helper-scripts/-/blob/master/debian-med-tests.txt
>
> I noticed the new version of "python-tinyalign" was uploaded [2] with
> Testsuite entry. I think it may push to salsa soon.

Well, the new upload has just

   Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-python

in debian/control.  That's in principle just installing the package and

   python3 -c "import tinyalign"

which is better than nothing but if you have some more sensible test in
mind we can add this anyway.

> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/news/1108095/accepted-python-tinyalign-02-3-source-into-unstable/
>
> And I got some question from my working packages ("python-tinyalign"
> and "python-pyani").
>
> "python-tinyalign" already have upstream test code in
> "tests/test_core.py" which based on pytest and will work by adding
> "Build-Depends: python3-pytest"; as I fixed at [3].
>
> [3] https://salsa.debian.org/sikuan-guest/python-tinyalign/-/commit/515762238e0a2175e52a8243cf0d9da04ea8e915

Would you mind simplifying my workflow by just pushing to the main
repository?  The commit makes perfectly sense.  I've a lot of stuff to
do on my desk and maintaining several clones is not that usual in the
Debian Med team.  So keeping a straight workflow for pretty simple
things is really appreciated.

> "python-pyani" also have an upstream test codes in "tests/" which
> based on nose, and although without "Testsuite", the test works well.

Please do the same here in the main repository master branch.

> At these points, I have the below questions:
> 1. What is Testsuite in d/control for? I tried with "gbp
> buildpackage", even though Testsuite does not exists, dh_auto_test did
> work. Do I have any misconception?

dh_auto_test is triggering build time tests.  This has nothing to do
with autopkgtest.  The latter works with the code that was installed via
the Debian package while the former is run before any Debian package
exists.

> 2. If in case of "python-pyani", even though it does not have
> Testsuite in d/control, there is "python3-nose" in Build-Depends, so
> test seems works well. But it was listed at [3]. I do not know why
> this package is listed at [3]. Could you please give me some guides?

Please try to write an autopkgtest based on what is done in the build
time test.  We have examples for instance in packages

   patsy, python-gffutils and q2-quality-filter

(no idea whether this are good examples).

Hope this helps for the moment