Re: BUG in ncbi-blast+

Hi Tony,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 08:24:02PM +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While attempting to use NCBI "blastn" from behind a proxy, I traced the
> execution of "blastn" to check if it was reading the default
> "/etc/ncbi/.ncbirc" file where I put my proxy config in because it wasn't
> working.
>
> In fact, this file is never stat'ed or read:
>
> > ajt@beluga:~$ strace blastn |& fgrep .ncbirc
> > stat("./.ncbirc", 0x7fff8bbc0200)       = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> > stat("/home/ajt/.ncbirc", 0x7fff8bbc0200) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> > stat("/etc/.ncbirc", 0x7fff8bbc0200)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> > stat("/usr/bin/.ncbirc", 0x7fff8bbc0200) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> My "~/.ncbirc" file is read correctly, so I'm using that instead.
>
> Please let me know the proper way to report this BUG in med-bio?

Nitpicking: You do not iwant to report to med-bio (which is a different
package) - you want to report to the Debian BTS.  Since I know you are
usually using Ubuntu please refer to

   https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/disco/man1/reportbug.1.html

whether there are some specifics from here to make sure the report will
go to the Debian BTS.  From a Debian system its simply

    reportbug ncbi-blast+

If you call reportbug the first time it creates a config file

    ~/.reportbugrc

Make sure that it contains the line

smtphost reportbug.debian.org

since a mail needs to be sent by reportbug and you need a valid
smtphost (in case you do not have any valid one configured on your
local machine).

Hope this helps and thanks for reporting issues to Debian