Re: More bioperl modules need packaging

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 05:55:32PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> > I'm wondering about pointing the watch file to CPAN.  While I definitely
> > agree that versioned releases would be great and should show up on CPAN
> > upstream does not seem to do this.  Github is way more recent which I
> > noticed when I imported the version from CPAN (to match your watch file
> > suggestion).  This leaded to the same failure as before and I needed to
> > provide the latest Build.PL from Github as quilt patch to be able to
> > build the package.
> >
> > This makes me wonder in how far it is a good idea to rely on CPAN if
> > upstream is just not caring about proper releases.  Any opinions?
>
> Upstream seems to be making CPAN releases, at least the latest version
> number is the same in both metacpan and github.

Ahhhh, my fault.  I mixed this up with other Ensembl projects without
any release tags.  Just forget what I said.  Using the last release tag
is always my prefered packaging option.

> If I understood you
> correctly, the issue is that upstream botches their CPAN releases.
>
> Here's some reasons why I would still favour the stuff on CPAN:
>
> 1. Github provides snaphots of the repository.  While a snapshot of
>    the repository can be equal to a release they are not the release
>    itself (even if github calls them releases).  Depending on the
>    release process, some files may be created or removed to create the
>    actual release file.  For example, the Makefile.PL and Build.PL
>    files are sometimes created during the release and will not appear
>    in the repo snapshot.
>
> 2. Other users installing packages with perl tools to manage modules
>    will be installing from CPAN not from github.  If someone told me
>    they used version X and I had to replicate it, I would guess they
>    meant the version from CPAN not the one tagged as such on the
>    upstream repository.
>
> 3. Upstream can change the location of, or even remove, its
>    repository.  Upstream can also force push changes to the repo and
>    modify tags.  If I had to choose, I would bet on CPAN releases
>    being more persistent.
>
> 4. I know upstream sometimes botch their releases.  But it goes both
>    ways.  I am also familiar with cases where upstream forgets to add
>    files under version control.  Those extra files appear on the
>    released package but not the repository.  If problems can be in
>    both places, then I think it's the release that counts.  It's on
>    the name.

I fully agree - I was just wrong.

So I keep the patch to get the package build but stick to the released
code.

Thanks a lot for double checking (and spending time for an extensive
explanation - I'll keep a copy of it in case I might need those good
arguments written down. ;-) )