Re: More bioperl modules need packaging

Hi Carnë,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 03:26:40PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> > Any other ideas?
>
> While ExtUtils::PkgConfig is now available and could find htslib, the
> rules file was setting HTSLIB_DIR and so was trying to find it there
> (which failed there).  By not doing that, Build.PL was continuing down
> the methods to find the htslib until it tries ExtUtils::PkgConfig.

Argh, what a simple explanation. ;-)

> I have pushed 8835cdb8c66fadc5ca which fixes that.  My build system is
> a bit old so I had to reduce the compat version to 11 to test it.

Fine for the helpful hint - but I reverted to debhelper-compat (12).

> I also changed some others things that you may have different opinion
> of.

I'm wondering about pointing the watch file to CPAN.  While I definitely
agree that versioned releases would be great and should show up on CPAN
upstream does not seem to do this.  Github is way more recent which I
noticed when I imported the version from CPAN (to match your watch file
suggestion).  This leaded to the same failure as before and I needed to
provide the latest Build.PL from Github as quilt patch to be able to
build the package.

This makes me wonder in how far it is a good idea to rely on CPAN if
upstream is just not caring about proper releases.  Any opinions?

Thanks in any case for your help