Re: [MoM] lefse migration to python 3

Hello Andreas,

> I was running routine-update and have build the package.  When calling
> a random binary I experienced:
>

> $ plot_features
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/plot_features", line 6, in <module>
>     from .lefse import *
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '__main__.lefse'; '__main__' is
not a package

I experienced the same thing, but I assumed my direct execution was
wrong and maybe lefse was meant to be used / integrated within something
in the python ecosystem. If I recall correctly, I got an error (I think
it was different to this) when executing lefse pre the python3 conversion.

> As far as I can see this is actually a Python3 conversion issue
> I really wonder whether this chunk of the patch should be rather
> droped and
>
>    from lefse import *
>
> should remain.

I assume so. I don't think this was result in a complete breakage. I'm
fairly misinformed with python but I am not too sure of the idea behind
"from lefse import *" getting converted to "from .lefse import *". I
will take another look at this. Annoyingly, this test script is broken
even before the python3 conversion.

> Asking on Debian Mentors list is an option to clarify the test suite
> issue.  We could even upload the package to new queue.  It will last
> some time anyway to pass the queue.  The package is also not totally
> broken (binaries are starting, some tests are passing).  Its hard to
> tell whether those failures are practically important or not.  We could
> hope for user bug reports.

From my experience with debian mentors mailing list, people are
understandably busy and I haven't received any replies with previous
emails. I agree, the package is not totally broken because the direct
source clone acts up the same way as this package, so
functionality-wise, I assume there is very little to no deviation. Maybe
as you suggest, it is best to upload and wait for user bug reports -
that will be an experience too and should rule out any packaging faults.
FAST has a low traffic anyways.

>> On the side, I have decided to work on another package. It seems like
>> even this is getting to be a slight pain (depends on gatb-core and
>> modifying cmake to use debian packaged gatb-core seems to bring a whole
>> lot of issues during linkage). I am currently waiting until upstream
>> replies or someone via the mentors mailing list to give a suggestion.
>
> I've seen and appreciated your commits. :-)

Thanks :). These packages have been quite an experience and something
I'd continue doing for debian med. Simka should be an easy program to
package once I figure out why the object linkage fails.

Kinds regards,
Shayan Doust