Re: [MoM] Potential next software for packaging?

Hi Shayan,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 01:48:52AM +0100, Shayan Doust wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Replying to this just in case you haven't seen it yet as I know you've
> probably been busy. Not sure if the initial message should also be
> targeted to the receipient email too or not.

Pinging is fine.  I was simply busy with real life. :-)

> I assume you'll let me know whenever the MoM period is over too, as at
> the end of this month (from the 28th I think) I will be away for a week
> only.

The period where you are free to ask here on the list is not limited.  I
simply called that newcomer effort Mentoring of the Month to give some
realistic estimation how long a first packaging effort might last and to
make the student stick to the task with some patience.  So just keep on
with your packaging effort here in public as long as you feel the need
to ask.

> On 13/07/2019 15:58, Shayan Doust wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Well, now that MindTheGap has been uploaded and will now rely on, of
> > course, long term support due to upstream updates now, I've been looking
> > at different softwares that have not yet been packaged.
> >
> > I stumbled across MMseqs2[1]. This is a search and clustering suite. I
> > have been unable to find this software within the debian repositories
> > for all releases so I can only assume this does not exist yet. I think
> > this categorises well under the general "life sciences" of things and
> > bioinformatics. What do you think?

It looks quite valuable to me.  Another good catch!

> > I have also browsed through all the files, understood its directory
> > structure and have managed to compile it. This seems to be very well
> > documented too (fairly huge PDF is included).

Is the source for this PDF included as well?  Debian ftpmaster has the
policy that pdf without (say LaTeX) source is "binary without source".
So we need to nag upstream to provide the source or if they do not
provide it need to exclude the documentation (which can be easily done
via the Files-Excluded field in debian/copyright).  The exclusion can be
compensated by adding a link to the online version in a file
debian/README.Debian.

> > With enough time invested in this, would you say this is either too
> > huge/heavy to do, or do-able?

If you was able to compile it it looks promising.  Just try to follow
my initial advise and push your resulting Git repository.  Than we will
see.

Thanks a lot for your effort

    Andreas.