Re: Outreachy current

---- On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 07:26:05 +0000 Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de> wrote ----

Hi Saira,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:58:20PM +0000, Saira Hussain wrote:

> thanks a lot for your reply! That's my username, I just registered.

I've seen this and accepted as promised - but I was sleeping in between
- I live in Germany so UTF +0100 time zone. BTW, what is your time zone?

My zone is GMT +0000

> I've been going through the debian-med and looking at packages but is there any website that
> is talking about the basics of testing?

There is some intro in the Debian Wiki[1].

Thanks for this, I am reading it right now.

> I.E. what do you really need to test in a program? Is it just about
> the input and output? How can I validate the output (e.g. If I give some specific DNA as input and I know
> the expected output, can I save this file and then do a diff between this and the stdout?).

The short answer is: It depends. :-)

Given that you have some background in bioinformatics I would trust
*your* expertise - since I personally have none in Bioinformatics (I'm a
physicist). Its a good idea if you clone some of the packaging
repositories from salsa.debian.org of software that you know. The most
important ones are covered with autopkgtest and so you can get a feeling
how tests are done.

I had a look at the previous years commits and I also studied the functionality of
the package and I added a couple of tests to validate this. Here is my merge request:
https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/glam2/merge_requests/1

> Looking forward to learning more

You are perfectly welcome. However, I would love to switch all non-private
communication to debian-med@lists.debian.org. The profit for you is that
you will get input from kind students of previous years who remained in the
project - and others might read the web archive of our dicussion to learn
from it.

Glad to hear from people in the list and learn even more!

So please subscribe to the list and please quote my mail in public there
when you respond.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ContinuousIntegration/DebianSetup