Re: linking from debian med packages to bio.tools

Hello,

On 11.03.19 09:07, Andreas Tille wrote:
Dear Hervé,

hope you had a safe trip home from Debian Med sprint.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 07:40:52PM +0100, Hervé Ménager wrote:
Dear all,
I have been working with Matus Kalas and Steffen Moeller during the
debian-med sprint on linking bio.tools to debian-med packages.
We created the mapping file there for consideration by the bio.tools
community (based on Steffen, Andreas and Matus' work on annotation of
debian packages and their integration in the debian
UDD):https://github.com/bio-tools/debian-med-links-analysis/blob/master/debian-biotools.csv
I'd like to comment first that the code of the script draining those
data also resides in bio-tools Git[1].  I'm not sure in what repository
it is placed best.  I do not intend to maintain it actively since for
me that's a solved problem.  If you have more questions feel free
to ask me.
It is also all a bit unclear to me. We should probably have it only once and a reference to the respective other URL.
I would like to get your opinion on how such links should appear in
bio.tools. Two things
come to my mind:
1- have a link to a webpage for the debian package itself
2- include an apt link for debian/ubuntu users who use that kind of
fancy feature (https://wiki.debian.org/AptProtocol)
For me the latter is something new I was not aware about.  So I'd
go with the well established link to the packages page (may be even
to https://tracker.debian.org) and not use "fancy" features.

I have sent a pull request to the blends repository on salsa that has the chance to present the EDAM topics on our task pages. We should possibly also have a presentation of the summary scope at least. But starting with the topics should possibly help to get a first assessment about where we stand.

@Hervé, do you have an URL that we could link to to show that topic in your EDAM ontology graphical browser?

I am not completely sure about the tracker. But yes, we should possibly show some reasonable subset of EDAM tags there, too. I am not exactly sure about how much knowledge about the ontology the tracker should add.

@Hervé, is there the possibility to show your browser somewhat dynamically from within the Debian task pages, like when hovering?

Best,

Steffen

[1] https://github.com/bio-tools/biotoolsConnect/blob/master/DebianMed/edam.sh