Re: Should lambda-align v2 replace v1 or be its own Debian package?

[Keeping Hannes on the CC in case he isn't subscribed]

Thanks for the responses, all.

În lun., 14 ian. 2019 la 17:48, Sascha Steinbiss <satta@debian.org> a scris:
Hi,

just my 2 cents. I introduced Lambda into Debian some time ago just out
of interest but looking at the uploads, Michael has done more work
recently...
So here are just a few comments from me.
[...]
>> However, there are no references from other Debian packages to
>> lambda-align's binaries, so upgrading to v2 without changing the package
>> name won't break any packages, but it will break user scripts.
>
> From a plain Debian point of view adding a file debian/NEWS.Debian
> explaining the issue will show the change in the new version.  From a
> user perspective it might be interesting to have the old version as
> well.

I would also advise to create a new package for v2 in order not to
silently break users' pipelines when they upgrade their lambda-align
package to version 2 (or just do an 'apt upgrade' without checking in
detail whether lambda is in the -- potentially tens of packages long --
list of packages to update).

That was my thinking.

> If you volunteer to maintain the old version as lambda-align1
> some users might be happy.

I'd rather use 'lambda-align2' and 'lambda-align'... due to the reasons
above. For me this is not much different than an ABI change that would
require bumping a version number.

> PS: In any case I'd stick with the lambda-align package name for the
>     new version.  Otherwise we might need to wait for ftpmaster
>     acceptance until after freeze and thus the latest version will
>     not make it into Buster.

IMHO I'd rather not have the newest version in buster (which was
released just a couple of days ago anyway) than breaking user pipelines.
If we're lucky then v2 may even make it through NEW until the freeze
affecting new packages which starts in about a month.

I can maintain lambda-align 1.x for the time being -- Hannes, do you
still provide updates for the old version (I'm thinking of things like
ensuring compatibility with gcc updates, C++ standards quirks, etc.)?

I think this is a good idea, especially if Hannes will be providing updates for the v1.0.x series.

(I consider the v1.9.x series to be release candidates for v2.0)

Pursuant to that I split off the v2.0.0 packaging: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/lambda-align2

Other than the lack of full test suite that we had with v1.0.x [1], I think this is ready for sponsorship for the NEW queue.

[1] See https://github.com/seqan/lambda/pull/121 for my (partial) attempt at fixing that

--
Michael R. Crusoe
Co-founder & Lead, Common Workflow Language project