Re: Should lambda-align v2 replace v1 or be its own Debian package?

On 14.01.19 17:39, Michael Crusoe wrote:
> [Keeping Hannes on the CC in case he isn't subscribed]
>
> Thanks for the responses, all.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, I am not subscribed to debian-med.

> În lun., 14 ian. 2019 la 17:48, Sascha Steinbiss <satta@debian.org
> <mailto:satta@debian.org>> a scris:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     just my 2 cents. I introduced Lambda into Debian some time ago just out
>     of interest but looking at the uploads, Michael has done more work
>     recently...
>     So here are just a few comments from me.
>     [...]
>     >> However, there are no references from other Debian packages to
>     >> lambda-align's binaries, so upgrading to v2 without changing the
>     package
>     >> name won't break any packages, but it will break user scripts.
>     >
>     > From a plain Debian point of view adding a file debian/NEWS.Debian
>     > explaining the issue will show the change in the new version.  From a
>     > user perspective it might be interesting to have the old version as
>     > well.
>
>     I would also advise to create a new package for v2 in order not to
>     silently break users' pipelines when they upgrade their lambda-align
>     package to version 2 (or just do an 'apt upgrade' without checking in
>     detail whether lambda is in the -- potentially tens of packages long --
>     list of packages to update).
>

> That was my thinking.

+1

>     > If you volunteer to maintain the old version as lambda-align1
>     > some users might be happy.
>
>     I'd rather use 'lambda-align2' and 'lambda-align'... due to the reasons
>     above. For me this is not much different than an ABI change that would
>     require bumping a version number.
>
>     > PS: In any case I'd stick with the lambda-align package name for the
>     >     new version.  Otherwise we might need to wait for ftpmaster
>     >     acceptance until after freeze and thus the latest version will
>     >     not make it into Buster.
>
>     IMHO I'd rather not have the newest version in buster (which was
>     released just a couple of days ago anyway) than breaking user pipelines.
>     If we're lucky then v2 may even make it through NEW until the freeze
>     affecting new packages which starts in about a month.
>
>     I can maintain lambda-align 1.x for the time being -- Hannes, do you
>     still provide updates for the old version (I'm thinking of things like
>     ensuring compatibility with gcc updates, C++ standards quirks, etc.)?
>

> I think this is a good idea, especially if Hannes will be providing
> updates for the v1.0.x series.

Yes, for the foreseeable future I will make sure that any build failures
with newer compilers are addressed and also try to fix severe issues
like crashes (should there be any!).

> (I consider the v1.9.x series to be release candidates for v2.0)

That's what they were!

> Pursuant to that I split off the v2.0.0 packaging:
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/lambda-align2

I have just had a quick look inside and for the 2.x branch I would
recommend not setting:
-DLAMBDA_MMAPPED_DB=ON
or setting it to OFF, because I had problems with high degrees of
parallelisation/vectorisation in combination with MMAP leading to very
severe slowdowns (some strange contention in the OS somewhere).

Also the new cmake script generates man-pages so your packaging doesn't
need to do that anymore (I think in the 1.x release you generated this
yourself).

> Other than the lack of full test suite that we had with v1.0.x [1], I
> think this is ready for sponsorship for the NEW queue.
>
> [1] See https://github.com/seqan/lambda/pull/121 for my (partial)
> attempt at fixing that

I will definitely have a look at this this week, I really want the tests
back, too. I just pushed the 2.0.0 tag because some people wanted to
package it for bioconda and I did not want them to start with the old
release.

Best regards,
Hannes
--
Hannes Hauswedell

Scientific staff & PhD candidate
Freie Universität Berlin / Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics

address     Institut für Informatik
            Takustraße 9
            Room 019
            14195 Berlin