Re: Autopkgtest for SOAPdenovo

Dear Liubov,

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 12:37:54PM +0200, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> > I do not know this program but may be its sensible to simply ignore this
> > executable in the tests.
>
> I see no other solution, too. When I used this program for genome assembly
> I expected it to require lots of memory since it is normal to have millions
> of reads to assemble from. But here, using as small data sets as possible,
> I am surprised to find that I cannot modify program's desire to preallocate
> memory.

If this would be some actively developed software I'd recommend asking
upstream to consider dynamic memory allocation.  But since I doubt that
this legacy code that has an official successor will be changed any more
there is probably no hope for a change.

> I have modified run-unit-test so that it runs for *-31mer* and *-63mer*
> binaries now. I have also fixed some lintian warnings and pointed debhelper
> version to 11. Please, check my commits!

Looks good.  I specifically like that you consider fixing the lintian
issues worth the effort.  Thus I uploaded (with your ID).

For the next test I have another issue.  Bowtie2 has tests and it is
passing these tests.  However, recently I was working on a package that
hat bowtie2 as a Build-Depends.  Due to some error unrelated to bowtie2
the build failed and I was in a shell of the pbuilder chroot.  By chance
I simply called bowtie2 to see whether it was in the PATH.  If I called
it without any argument it was SEGFAULTing.  I can not reproduce this
in a usual installation - just in the minimized pbuilder chroot.  Since
no command should segfault if simply called I wonder whether you could
add another test to bowtie2 and just call

    bowtie2

in it (which should respond with the help screen).  If it fails we have
something to do ...

Thank you and keep on the nice work