Re: dcm2niix -- I have an intent to take over (still under Debian Med team), objections?

On Tue, 04 Dec 2018, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 06:39:15AM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> > > I would be happy to move it to salsa.  I just pointed to it as the one
> > > we currently use

> > > I guess I would then move it to dcm2niix-epoch1 smth like that (on salsa
> > > i.e.) so previous versions could be found from the original
> > > dcm2niix repo (to which I would also add a commit obliterating
> > > everything and stating to look into that -epoch1 repo)

> > Please use the original packaging work on salsa and keep the history intact.

> > I don't see what would prevent you from rebasing the work done on
> > Neurodebian on top of mine. Epoch bumps don't justify history rewrites or
> > new repositories, imo.

> I agree with Ghislain.  Feel free to simply rebase your packaging but
> please keep the same repository name.  We have the policy that the
> package resides in a repository with the same name as the source package
> (and some of our tools are relying on this) and I do not see any reason
> to diverge from it.  There is also no point in keeping an unused
> repository of the old packaging around.

I am still wondering what I should do about dcm_qa* submodules.  I keep
thinking about making a dedicated package (dcm2niix-qa) shipping them.

Without that, I could of cause bring (merge) upstream git tree into your
packaging repo, with all the submodules, but that would "ruin" the clean
history it has now.  I would not be able just to "rebase" my packaging
on top without a merge if I am to bring submodules.

Meanwhile, pushed my adjusted neurodebian packaging to
http://github.com/neurodebian/dcm2niix
debian branch, which AFAIK should be good to go as long as we figure
out dcm_qa* situation. Will do a full sweep of builds and if all is
good, upload to NeuroDebian interim

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org