Re: Unicycler: trying to run tests during the build process

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 06:01:43PM +0200, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> > Tput is from package ncurses-bin.  If it needs $TERM set may be it helps
> > to export xterm or vt100 in d/rules.  I've checked codesearch
> >
> >   https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=file%3Adebian%2Frules+TERM
> >

> Wow, I did not know about this possibility to search through all the Debian
> code!

codesearch is really cool!

> Thanks a lot for these tips! After adding "export TERM=linux" to d/rules
> the package builds without those warnings ("tput: No value for $TERM and no
> -T specified") and

I realised this when I did the build.

> all the tests are passing without errors now. Do you still prefer to leave "||
> true" condition in the override_dh_auto_test piece of code or it can be
> removed?

Hmmm, I've seen that you have set:

   export DH_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=nocheck

which simply disables the checks.  I simply **assumed** that the checks
would not pass and we hide eyes completely while the "|| true" runs the
checks and keeps a trace in the logs - so only one eye is closed.

I now realised that the checks are working.  I did not assumed this due
to the comment "Build time tests are flaky"

> The problem is that in case some tests fail, the build proceedes
> but PYBUILD_AFTER_TEST clean-up commands are skipped.

That should be avoided for sure but I think with my latest commit
that again dropped the override_dh_auto_test this is settled.

> One more thing, could you clarify the commit [2]? As I see it even without
> override_dh_auto_test the tests would still be run by dh_auto_test. I tried
> to implement the setup that is necessary for the tests to pass through
> pybuild-specific variables here [3] since I wasn't able to make it work
> using override_dh_auto_test.

Looks good.  My commit was useless and is removed (but we also should not
set DH_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=nocheck).

Thanks for your work on this and also for questioning me as your mentor!
I like this since I'm for sure not always right. ;-)

> [2]
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/unicycler/commit/bae0f302cfb7849c5229611b82c9b8aa8e80fc2f
> [3]
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/unicycler/commit/01c6541c861301a856a6e35db2e08d34411ae68b#8756c63497c8dc39f7773438edf53b220c773f67_6_8
>

> Should I try to implement the same tests as autopkgtest suite? If so, I
> will have to put all required scripts and test data into the same or a
> separate .deb archive.

I think this makes perfectly sense.  So yes, please do so.

Thanks a lot for your tough work