Re: Bio-Linux

On 08/09/18 19:31, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 06:56:32PM +0100, William McCaffery wrote:
>> I understand that I need to replace it; this may have been more of a
>> subjective question -- would we want the server package to contain
>> exclusively server packages, or would it contain normal bio-linux packages
>> as well as server packages?
>
> This needs to be answered by Tony (or any other Bio-Linux expert).

Hi, William and Andreas.

Bio-Linux 8 contains 'server' packages that are not really needed on the
desktop, including a web server, Galaxy and x2go-server. I want these to
be removed from "bio-linux-desktop", but present in "bio-linux-server",
because running these server processes adds to the problems encountered
when running Bio-Linux on old or low-powered computers with little RAM.

I want our "bio-linux-server" meta-package to be a superset of the
"bio-linux-desktop" meta-package. A Bio-Linux server is a GUI terminal
server supporting remote MATE desktops and and needs the complete MATE
desktop installed unlike e.g. "ubuntu-server", which is just a minimal
CLI-only install for LAMP etc.

> [...]
>> Things are a bit hectic at the
>> moment since I'm about to head back to university but I'll make sure to get
>> a push in soon.

No pressure, William :-)

Thanks for all the work you've done,

  Tony.