Re: Bio-Linux

Hi William,

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 05:05:05PM +0100, William McCaffery wrote:
> As I understood it, the issue was that the virtual packages would install
> one of a group of packages that all have similar functionality, but none of
> these packages were available.

No.  What you describe are metapackages.  A virtual package is for instance
www-browser.  This is provided by for instance firefox or chromium - but the
package www-browser itself does not exist (thus the name "virtual").

> I may have misunderstood what was going
> wrong. I have not tested how they will affect the task, they may not cause
> any issues.

Virtual packages have nothing to do with our metapackages since
metapackages are really existing and are defining a set of dependencies.

> Looking at the server task, I also had a quick question, although this may
> be obvious I just need a bit of a sanity check -- is the server task going
> to contain all of the desktop packages with the additional server packages,
> or is it only going to contain server packages?

Hmmm, may be I was misleading you with the server package.  I was lazy enough
to copy a "random" task of Debian Med.  You possibly need to remove all those
recommends from that task and replace it by something that makes sense for
Bio-Linux.  I personally can not tell what makes sense since I need to admit
that I do not know Bio-Linux sufficiently enough.  Just feel free to change
*everything* and do not assume any sensible content in my lazy example.

> Since I've based my tasks off of Tim's list, it doesn't have any why, remark
> or section entries, although I would like to carry some of these over in a
> future commit.

There is no need for Remark entries.  That was just used for Debian Med
internal use.  Feel free to remove all remarks.  I have no idea what you
mean by section entries.

> I would still like to do a check over before pushing to the repo.

Please note that you can not break anything.  The repo is not used by
anything.  The tasks pages are not rendered at all.  So your chances to
break anything are absolutely zero.  However, I could do a look at your
work and fix bugs if I see some.  So I keep on recommending to push as
soon and frequent as possible.

> clarify, when I said that wanted to produce a usable result I more meant
> that I wanted to avoid pushing an obvious mistake.

Any mistake would not have a bad effect.  It would have the good effect
that I volunteer to fix it and help you learning the stuff by doing so.

> Thanks,

You are welcome

       Andreas.

PS: Thanks for switching to the list.