Re: Do you need more help with BioLinux tasks?

On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 03:48:05PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> I had a look at the precursor of missing Debian packages at
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/bio-linux/blob/master/debian-med_missings.txt
> . That does not look too bad. Most of these seem to have license issues.
> Qiime is something that we should have,

"Should" have is correct.  See #820308.  There is no real chance that we
get the dependencies fulfilled.  Python-burrito-fillings is the stumbling
stone here since it depends from python-skbio which does not exist any more
since upstream moved on and provides only Python3.

May be the situation is better with Qiime2.

> and that we once kind of had
> thanks to Bio-Linux' Tim. Its usearch license issue of the time has now
> also been overcome, so we should have a look at that again.

A colleague of main keeps on needing usearch.  Its a dependency for a
program I forgot and can check soonest on Monday.  If I remember
correctly vsearch can only deal with DNA but not with proteins while
usearch can do both.  I'm in big favour of nagging upstream about
freeing their code and I'd heavily welcome if anybody would join me in
this attempt.  There is no real excuse for any user of this list not
to do this since who is able to read and write e-mails can do this.