Re: Bio-Linux

Hi Andreas, hi Tony,

On 8/6/18 11:12 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi William and Tony,
>
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 03:22:01PM +0100, William McCaffery wrote:
>> That sounds reasonable, especially if we want to keep them as discreet
>> projects. If Andreas would be willing to set this up that would be great.
> Please have a look at
>
>     https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/biolinux
>
> To have some content I have choosen a copy of med-bio for biolinux-desktop
> and med-bio-dev for biolinux-server which is definitely *not* sensible, but
> works as a test case.  Please adapt the tasks (including the Description in
> the top) to your preference.  Once you have something reasonable I'll setup
> the websentinel config to have tasks pages for BioLinux.

from my side I would be particularly interested to learn about the
packages that Bio-Linux wants to see redistributed with them but that
are yet not in Debian.

The https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio pages have that yellow
section that lists a few bio-linux ones. How would you (Andreas and
Tony) feel about moving them to the Bio-Linux list?

>> As far as I can tell from the Debian documentation and what we've discussed,
>> the complete set of Bio-Linux tasks would simply be Tim's original package
>> list, divided into desktop and server tasks. I would ask your preference on
>> whether we would use the reduced list I created which only has packages in
>> sid (although this has some issues with virtual packages) or the compete
>> set.
The complete list, I propose. The colouring to indicate what is
available and what is on salsa etc is done in an automated fashion.
>> I know that the documentation states the latter, but I don't know if
>> all of the packages are still useful to Bio-Linux.
I tend to agree that a refurbished Bio-Linux should address today's
problems more than the ones of the past. But you can easily remove
packages by just deleting a line, so, first let's have a look about how
much we already cover.
>> As  for separating
>> Bio-Linux server and client packages, I can go through Tim's packages and
>> try and create a list of packages for a server task for review.
> Please check all files for spelling issues etc.  There is no point in
> manually editing debian/control or biolinux-tasks.desc since these are
> autogenerated.  You get them by
>
>      make dist
>
> Hope this helps over the first hurdle but keep on asking here.  I'll be
> more responsive soon (just in the train back home from DebConf).
>
> Thanks for the effort to merge BioLinux and Debian Med - I'm positive
> about a great and productive cooperation

Ok.  I am not sure about how far we are from everything. It would help
if we just have something as a start.

Best,

Steffen