Re: Bio-Linux

[ Leaving only the part of your mal that should be discussed in public]

Hi Tony,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 02:30:56PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> > Well, this depends.  If med-bio (and may be med-bio-dev are fine for you
> > you can simply Depend from these and be done with a zero maintenance
> > effort.  If we add new packages these will be mentioned there (and I have
> > also developed tools to verify that everything is really included so you
> > are safe that no new package will be missing).
>
> I want to create a 'bio-linux-desktop' meta-package with more or less
> the same packages as Bio-Linux 8, but with the packages sourced from
> Debian Sid via the Ubuntu repositories. To that end, I want to use the
> 'med-bio' and 'med-bio-dev' metapackages as a starting point. It is not
> practical, or desirable, to install everything in 'med-bio' onto a
> 'live' DVD/USB iso with a max 4GB payload.

OK, I understood that full med-bio and med-bio-dev are to heavy for a
live system.  Just for my personal understanding:  Is Bio-Linux
targeting at live media *exclusively*?

So we obviously need to maintain separate tasks for bio-linux.  Please
note that the blends-dev scripts are adding a prefix to every single
task so if you create a task bio-linux-desktop the resulting metapackage
will be named med-bio-linux-desktop.  For my feeling this is a bit hard
to read and so I'd rather go with a task desktop-bio-linux but you are
free to decide.

I'd also see an option to maintain a separate set of metapackages.  The
Debian Med team could create another source package called bio-linux.
There you create a task desktop (may be more) and than the resulting
metapackage will be named bio-linux-desktop.  You are free to define
more tasks that will all get the bio-linux prefix in the metapackage
names.  I have not thought longish about this but for the moment I do
not see much extra effort in this.  So feel free to decide what might be
your prefered option.

> > So lets discuss this all on the mailing list not wasting input of others
> > (including Tony's) which have a valuable opinion (specifically since I'm
> > not a user and thus I'm probably bad in guessing what users really need.
>
> I'll be driving to Milan next week, so I might not reply to emails for a
> few days - Please do move our conversation over to the Debian-Med list.

Done and have a safe trip