Re: figtree autopkgtest

Dear Kate,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:56:03PM +0200, ka lou wrote:
> I made my first attempt on providing a simple autopkgtest for the 'figtree'
> package , referring to the 879621 <https://bugs.debian.org/879621> bug. It
> successfully runs in my local machine using the 'autopkgtest -- null'
> command.

Thanks for providing the first autopkgtest and by doing so proving that
you understood the concept.

> I am attaching  the patch file - since it is my first try for writing a
> test and even using the 'git format-patch' command , any feedback will be
> much appreciated.
>
> I have created an Alioth account in case you like me to continue with
> committing the tests.

I've added kkalou-guest to the Debian Med team so you can commit directly
in the future.  For the moment I've `git am`-ed your patch and pushed it
together with further enhancements.

Besides Fabian's comments (I will answer this mail later) I realised
that I've probably put a tricky task for "newcomers" in bug #879621.
The problem is that figtree is a graphical program and thus requires
some output screen and even uses user interaction to end.  The Debian
infrasturcture which is running the tests does not run an xserver and
there is no user who will end the test.

To work around this I started kind of an "experiment":  I added xvfb to
the test Depends, started figtree with xvfb-run in background and killed
the process afterwards.  Most probably this will give an error result
and thus the test might end up in a failure - may be you want to test a
bit around this.  But most probably we just want the headless output
created by the -graphic option (= drop the first suggested test which
needs graphical output at all).

For the two graphic exports I wonder how your test could have been
successful.  Both commands need a file test.tree.  You can manually
create this file by running the first command, save one or both of the
trees in tree files, add these to the examples dir inside the package
and than run the command.  That way the PDF creation should work.

However, the GIF creation does not work - here the documentation is just
wrong.  We should patch the code and the manual and replace GIF by PNG
which seems to work.

In the end you can run cmp on pdfs and pngs you have created on your
computer with those created by figtree inside the test suite and that
way you can prove the functionality of figtree.

Please let me know if you feel capable to solve these tasks.  It would
be easy for me but I think this is a quite educative example for you
which enables you to work with Debian packages.  Please be not shy to
ask here if anything might remain unclear.

Kind regards and thanks again for your first input