Re: Date shift: Sprint moving to 10-12/2/2018, was: Debian Med Sprint 26-28/1/2018 in Barcelona

Hi all,

On 2017-11-15 17:33, Steffen Möller wrote:
On 15.11.17 16:00, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:24:43PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
Dear all,

I hope there are not too many of you who have reserved fixed flights
already: There is an ELIXIR meeting already scheduled in Barcelona that ends on the 10th. It comes with two individuals that have attended our
meetings (and even hosted them) in the past and there may be more
who are interested to learn about us among them.
+1

After a quick chat with the local organisers we came to the conclusion that shifting our meeting to start right when that meeting stops would
serve Debian Med the most.
I wonder whether it would be possible to have our Sprint *before* the
ELIXIR meeting.  I do not question your point above but I have strong
private reasons to keep the weekend 10./11. February 2018 free.  If
anybody else would be in a similar situation (and the ELIXIR meeting
would last the whole week so that we can profit from the attached dates)
I would welcome to shift it to the weekend before.

That would be in parallel with FOSDEM, which I had hoped to avoid this time since that complaint came up a few times before. From what I understood,
those ELIXIR-folks at least in part have another meeting at that week
before.

Sigh. I would not want to move it again, if that is possible. Hm. How
about extending it Friday to Monday (or even Tuesday) so you have half
of it? I am toying with the thought to visit collaborators afterwards and
would be in the country for a while, anyway.

I would be available the weekend before as well. But as I can see here, there are at least 2 reasons for why not.

I most likely won't be available before Friday evening on Feb 9th, due to the ELIXIR Tools meeting (unless I get crazy there and have to be either evacuated or deported). But I'm open to staying whole Mon-Tue Feb 12-13th.

And how about having a second retreat with a summer-in-mountains-theme
(which is a bit of an inside joke since this pretty much describes the area Andreas lives in, while I started this water-theme close to my home at the Baltic sea, so I am basically asking if we could compensate should Andreas
miss parts of this Sprint)? I keep thinking that every of our meetings
has done
something good to our Debian Blend, so maybe we can double that?

+1000! To all the points, an excellent idea.

And my vote would be close to, but before the end of June, so that it's before the different holiday periods start.

Thinking about extra meetings, ISMB is in Chicago next year. Should we
(don't know if I am going, yet, but some of the regular Debian Med Sprint
attendees will certainly be there) possibly find ways to meet? Maybe
at the OBF Codefest (a conference-independent premeeting)?

N.B.! The BOSC and OBF Codefest 2018 are not in July in Chicago with ISMB, but in June in Portland with GCC!

One more thing: Being hosted by the folks who do core dev of Nextflow, it'd be great to get some Nextflow - Debian interaction at the Sprint (and of course - CWL).

Best,

Steffen

I hope we'll manage to find a good compromise with the Feb dates.

Cheers,
Matus