Re: Outreachy round 15

Hi Chandrima,

as I said I would like to do this discussion in public I'm writing my
answer to the Debian Med mailing list.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 07:32:42PM +0530, Chandrima Bhattacharya wrote:
> I was following the thread and it was written that we can contribute by
> writing a test for MACS. Can you please elaborate on what should be the
> purpose of this test and what to include.

The Continuous Integration test[1] should ensure that the package works
as expected on a cleanly installed machine.  Since you wrote you used
MACS, you should find some sensibly sized example data set process this
and compare it to some known result.

> I am eager to contribute to this project. I am enthusiastic about
> computational biology and this project will help me learn more about my
> interest.

Please let us know whether you are at least slightly comfortable how a
Debian package is structured.  As a random example how such kind of a
test looks like you might like to do

    apt-get source tophat

and look into the directory tophat/debian/tests.  This contains some
additional data (which actually should be documented but - I've pinged
Nadiya about this) which were processed in the test script.  If MACS
upstream ships dedicated test data these should be prefered.

There are several other example packages with tests (thanks to previous
GSoC and Outreachy projects) - just ask if you are interested in more
since I have no idea whether this is the best example.

Hope this helps

       Andreas.

[1] https://ci.debian.net/doc/