Re: lofreq in Debian

Hi Afif,

thanks for going through the effort of packaging LoFreq for Debian.

Regarding your question: LoFreq is a mix of Python 2.7 scripts and C. It
has a run-time dependency on Python 2.7, but none on samtools.

During compile time however there is a dependency on the samtools and
htslib (>=1.1) headers and their lib archives (libhts.a and libbam.a;
see src/lofreq/Makefile.am). The full path to their corresponding
directories needs to be defined with environment variables when running
configure (see http://csb5.github.io/lofreq/installation/#source).
zlib-devel is also required for installation from source (automatically
found by configure). We wanted the package to be as stand alone as
possible, hence the static linking against the htslib archives. For
distributions it makes more sense to link it dynamically, but this will
require some patching.

Best regards,
Andreas