Re: linuxbrew with homebrew/science - works!

Hi, all,

على الخميس 28 تـمـوز 2016 ‫03:54، كتب Sascha Steinbiss:
>> I do not know what this means for Debian Med. It is a competition. And,
>> > with some early brain wash from the homebrew on the Mac I am now using
>> > on my desk, it also feels natural.

I personally would prefer a way to adapt our Debian packages for this
purpose. Surely, some of the effort for the packaging is duplicated
between us, the linuxbrew, and the conda people (not to mention just
other Linux distributions in general). If we can make Debian packages
installable without root permissions into user-specified directories,
our packages will have much more utility both in Debian and in other
operating systems.

>> > Kind of nice is that the package
>> > names seem to be kept in sync with ours, e.g. I just noticed that STAR,
>> > our NGS aligner, is also called rna-star. And any such sync would be
>> > really nice to have so we can benefit from each other.
> I think keeping package names in sync is indeed very thoughtful and a
> good idea to do to reduce the amount of confusion and/or surprise to the
> end user, who basicallu only has to use 'brew install' on one machine
> and 'apt-get install' on the other.
>
> Something I personally find interesting about Homebrew-science (but
> others here may disagree) is that they apparently have a more relaxed
> way of embracing upstream's way of distribution and building, which
> seems to accelerate turnover time for packaging a lot. For example,
> there is no requirement to build in a non-networked environment using
> already packaged dependencies only. While I am aware of the security and
> long-term maintainability considerations, this is difficult to beat for
> the pure purpose of distribution and easy installability, and indeed I
> have often seen their list of recipes contain new tools much earlier
> than Debian.

Indeed. One of my strongest motivations for being involved in Debian is
the integration that we do. While we can't have official packages that
follow such relaxed requirements, we might keep up in this regard with
some unofficial ([semi-]auto-generated? [1]) packages, but I think our
main problem is lack of support for unprivileged installation.

regards
Afif

1. https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticPackagingTools

--