Re: [Outreachy] predictprotein and other RostLab packages

Hi Tanya,

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 07:28:09PM +0300, merlettaia wrote:
> Your solution for reprof works, I've added README.test and for now it's
> ready (current testsuite checks only perl portion of code, I'll probably
> later add other test).

Having any test for the moment is helpful.  Its uploaded now.

> I've made tests for profphd-utils, it's ready for upload. For now I took 2
> example files from profphd package - to test profphd-utils independently
> from profphd. If you think it's better to take them directly from profphd
> package installation (and mention profphd in 'Depends:' section in
> debian/tests/control), I can fix this.

I uploaded as is.  While your idea has some charm I think its OK as is
as well.

> I also tried to make tests for profnet. This package generates 8 packages
> (and profphd-net), with commands which can be run in similar manner. But
> there are no enough example files. I found correct example file for these
> tests in profphd source package, but it works for 5 of 8 packages. Other 3
> packages (profnet-bval, profnet-md, profnet-norsnet) with the same input
> files raise Segmentation fault.

Hmmm, segmentation fault is not good.  I wonder, whether we should
upload with the 5 working tests and report upstream the failures.  The
program should not segfault in any case.

> The main difference between sources of these executables can be found in
> upstream's patch files mainly in space character (like in these two lines
> from upstream's bval.patch file):
> -         CALL RDPAR_ERR('NUMIN ',VARIN)
> +         CALL RDPAR_ERR('NUMIN',VARIN)
>
> For now I couldn't find correct set of example files which works with
> profnet-bval, profnet-md or profnet-norsnet.

Could you provide example command lines and send these upstream to at
least fix the segfault and interrupt at least with a proper error
message?

> For other 5 packages (profnet-chop, profnet-con, profnet-isis,
> profnet-prof, profnet-snapfun) I wrote testsuite which passes.

That's a nice improvement.

> The main problem is profnet is utility package and packages it generates
> are not made to be used by itself, without packages they are supposed to be
> used with.

I can't parse this sentence, sorry.

> I think it's better to return later to this package and search example
> files which works correctly in related packages (for now I couldn't find
> any which doesn't produce segfault). How do you think?

I think having found examples that crash is some valuable information.