Re: [Outreachy] dssp examples [Was: r22100 - in trunk/packages/dssp/trunk/debian: . patches]

Hi Tanya,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 09:14:34PM +0300, merlettaia wrote:
> I found the idea of saving examples to upstream patches from
> conservation-code. I just was writing a letter to ask, what is the best way
> to save files like these - because they (at least .pdb files) can be quite
> large or and should better be gzipped, and quilt doesn't allow to save
> gzipped files.

It's definitely the best if upstream adds those files as examples.  Once
they might do so they release a new upstream version and also in this
case you do not need a patch any more since the files are included. :-)

> Thank you - next time I'll store example files as you suggested (and
> probably gzip them). For dssp I'll fix it now.

Using gzip sounds sensible in case of larger files.  Either lintian or
dpkg-buildpackage will tell you that you need to specify binary files
explicitly once you include them (I can not remember by heart in what
file - but you can trust our tools here).

BTW, it makes sense to add the data files in debian/copyright where
they are obtained from and under what license these can be used.

Kind regards and thanks for your work on this