Re: Packging jModelTest for Debian and versioning

Hi Diego,

thanks a lot for your support.  Prottest now builds fine under Debian
stable and I'll upload a backport to Jessie soon.  I also noticed that
jmodeltest now can be build easily and I'm in the process of preparing
packages.  When doing so I noticed some glitches you might be interested
in:

  1. Please review the patch I'm using at
       https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-med/jmodeltest.git/tree/debian/patches/do_not_chmod_anything_in_usr_bin.patch
     The original build.xml removes executable bit from every file
     in /usr/bin which is probably not what you want and if the
     user that builds jmodeltest has root permissions (and is not
     in a chrooted system where Debian builds are happening) the
     system in question might become disfunctional.

  2. When I start runjmodeltest-gui the window displays:

WARNING: PhyML binary is not in the list of compatibility:
/usr/bin/phyml v3:320+dfsg-2~bpo8+1
Compatible versions: 20130103 20131022 20141009 20141029 20150501 20151222
jModelTest will try to continue execution anyway, but it might fail.

     I have no idea how you do ther version verfification in
     jmodeltest.  I just can say that we packaged what can be
     found here:

        https://github.com/stephaneguindon/phyml/releases

     Could you confirm that this phyml version would work?

I'll probably come up with more questions regarding proper usage
of mpj but that's it for now.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation

       Andreas.