Re: Lets maintain libbpp-phyl-omics in Debian Med team

Hi Julien,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:00:19AM +0200, Julien Yann Dutheil wrote:

> I have started to compile the libs with gcc 6. So far I get no issue if I
> add (-std=c++98) to the compiler arguments (-std=gnu14 begin the default in
> g++6, as far as I understood). We're currently porting the libs to c++11 ad
> the next release should be able to compile with C++14 without warning.

Sounds good.

> I can see that there was a suggestion for a rename of the libraries, why is
> that so? (I always had difficulties understanding library numbering,
> already from libtool :s)

Where did you see such a rename - I don't understand what you mean.  Or
do you mean the rename of the *package*?  This is due to libg++ ABI
change and is documented in bug #791093 which will be closed by my
upload.  It has nothing to do with libtools and is part of a general
transition in Debian.  Since you have not dealt with these bugs all
libbpp* packages have RC critical bugs and would not have been released
with the next Debian release.

> I'm not sure how to see the changes you made for fixing the conversion
> issue (issue that I do not have)?

Its basically the name change of the package, conflicts with the old
name and a rebuild.  You do not have this issue since you are not
creating a distribution of several software packages needing to cope
with an ABI change in a central library.  In other words:  You do not
need to care about this (if you do not care about the packaging but
only developing the upstream library code).