Re: Lets maintain libbpp-phyl-omics in Debian Med team

Dear Andreas,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Julien,

> Just a pragmatic question: If I would like to include these in the 2.2.0
> version, how can I do that with tags? I mean, we created a dedicated branch
> for each stable version so that it's easy to include such fixes and not all
> the further modification that might have happened on the master branch.
> With tags, that would be like inserting a commit back in time, just before
> the tagged commit... is that possible? (Sorry for my still poor knowledge
> of git, I just know the few commands that I'm using on a daily basis :s)

I admit I do not work with Github and if there are any specifics.  But
tagging something back in time should be no problem at all.  As far as
I know the branch also does not matter.  You go to the commit that was
released as version 2.2.0 (and reflects the content of the release
tarball) and than you add a tag to this.
[This mail goes in CC to the Debian Med list - others might correct me
if I'm wrong.]

Tagging back in time is no pb, my question was more to included a commit back in time, so that it is inlcuded in the "tagged" version. I think I cna only do that in git via a new branch...

J.

Julien Y. Dutheil, Ph-D
0 (+49) 6421 178 986

§ Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology
Molecular Systems Evolution
Department of Evolutionary Genetics
Plön -- GERMANY

§ Institute of Evolutionary Sciences - Montpellier
University of Montpellier 2 -- FRANCE