Re: Packaging of MafFilter

Dear Julien,

thanks a lot for your quick response.

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 02:37:37PM +0200, Julien Yann Dutheil wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> Many thanks for your email. Indeed, the debian package should not be in the
> distributed tar.gz, I will fix that. One important thing: MafFilter depends
> on the Bio++ libraries, which are packaged for debian, but not up to date.
> The packager was Loic Dachary, but he admitted having no time anymore for
> doing this (which I can fully imagine :) ). I would love to see Bio++ again
> up to date in debian, and would be very happy to help.

I've sent a separate mail about this some minutes ago.  You see me
totaly astonished anyway since I was so sure that no package with
relevance for bioinformatics could escape my eyes.  I'm also wondering
who sponsored your packages since this sponsor should have contacted
Debian Med as well.

> The last "official" distribution of MafFilter is 1.1.0. More recent
> versions need the development version of Bio++, and therefore we do not
> provide packages for them yet. We are planning however a new release of
> Bio++ (and therefore MafFilter), but no timeline is fixed, so I guess
> version 1.1.0 should be used at the moment.

OK.  Thanks for this helpful information.

> We recently migrated Bio++ to github.

Ahh.  Thanks for the hint.  What would be really important for the
packaging is that you tag your releases.  I would point a watch file to
Github releases which simplifies noticing new versions.

> Would that be helpful if I would also
> put MafFilter on github? I could more easily include patches if needed...

As saif above:  Github is fine but tagging the releases would be really
important.