Re: Strengthening team by fixing other members bugs

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:12:51AM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> >last week I had the idea to declare April as a month of fixing bugs in
> >Debian Med packages.  While about eight monthes are left until we the
> >freeze for Jessie will start we should constatly make sure that our
> >packages are free of bugs and are distributable all the time.  I think
> >it makes perfectly sense if everybody would look into bugs of packages
> >he has not yet touched.  This would increase the number of people
> >looking for packages and in most cases you can learn something new.
>
> I would add that, alongside fixing bugs, we should ensure all our
> packages have some sort of CI testing going on, when applicable.

   https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2016/Projects#SummerOfCode2016.2FProjects.2FBioToolsTesting.Continuous_Integration_for_all_biological_applications_inside_Debian

:-)

> >Kind regards and have fun fixing bugs
> >
> >      Andreas.
> >
> >[1] https://bugs.debian.org/debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> Assuming someone has got a fix for a bug concerning a package he or she
> does not personally maintain, how do you think this someone should
> proceed? Push directly to the debian-branch?

Yes.  I'd consider any team member equal.  Everybody should feel free to
push to master and also to add the own ID to Uploaders if this should be
no one term contribution.

> To a temporary branch, and give
> the official DM an opportunity to review?

I'm perfectly fine if any DD uploads a fixed package as team upload.
I'm also fine if DMs are requesting upload permissions - otherwise we
are using the usual sponsering procedure.

> I know yourself and myself have done this directly for each other's
> packages in the past (which I am fine with), but it may be not to
> everyone's taste.

I did in the past in the same manner as suggested above for more than
100 Debian Med packages and never have stepped on anybodies toes by
doing so.  I even team-hijacked packages that were de-facto orphaned
(xmedcon, python-hl7) in the same manner and not even the non-team
maintainers raised their voice (I'm not sure whether they noticed it
despite they've got at least two warning mails).  IMHO we should push
for more action if action is needed rather than assuming different taste
of people who might have several reasons for beeing silent / inactive.

I hereby actively declare that if you find my ID in Uploaders field or
in d/changelog you can always fix bugs in these packages, upgrade to new
upstream or enhance the package in some other way I'm really happy that
I do not need to do this myself.  Please do so if in doubt!  If you are
unsure upload to DELAYED/x but usually I observe VCS mails anyway and
will insist when observing some unwanted change.