Re: Proposal to start link time optimisation for Debian Med packages

On 31/03/16 02:34, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 01:36:58PM +0200, Steffen Möller a écrit :
>> I had started this friendly and constructive thread on Debian Devel on
>> link time optimisation
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/03/msg00399.html
>>
>> and my personal consensus is that we should possibly start with the most
>> rewarding scientific packages of ours to see how it goes. What do you
>> think?
> Hi Steffen and everybody,
>
> here is a quick side comment, sorry for not having the time to participate
> to that thread.
>
> Related to optimisation, we systematically override -O3 to -O2.  Probably in
> most of the cases the upstream authors never benchmarked the difference anyway,
> but in remaining cases, aren't we making the programs in our packages slower
> only for the sake of building everything with the same flags and avoiding
> compilation errors on architectures where nobody ever reported that these
> programs in particular have been used ?

Hi Charles,

I presume we kind of inadvertently do so by using the debhelper tools that
may set other options than upstream had in mind.  Er, yes, somehow this
feels
unfortunate, indeed. I would prefer to give this some extra thought in
another
thread, though.

Many thanks and greetings

Steffen