Re: Proposal to start link time optimisation for Debian Med packages

Le Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 01:36:58PM +0200, Steffen Möller a écrit :

> I had started this friendly and constructive thread on Debian Devel on
> link time optimisation
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/03/msg00399.html
>
> and my personal consensus is that we should possibly start with the most
> rewarding scientific packages of ours to see how it goes. What do you
> think?

Hi Steffen and everybody,

here is a quick side comment, sorry for not having the time to participate
to that thread.

Related to optimisation, we systematically override -O3 to -O2.  Probably in
most of the cases the upstream authors never benchmarked the difference anyway,
but in remaining cases, aren't we making the programs in our packages slower
only for the sake of building everything with the same flags and avoiding
compilation errors on architectures where nobody ever reported that these
programs in particular have been used ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles