-flto to become more of a routine - any change in opinion since 2011?

Hello,

I admit to be a fan of link time optimisation and would like to see this
challenge promoted towards more of a routine challenge to establish for
our packages. I found this informative thread

that in particular sees the challenge for the buildds to cope with the
additional demands on compute time and/or memory.  With a couple of
compiler versions down the road I still see no conceptional difference,
except that possibly the build demons may have become more powerful
compared with the average package size, especially so for the often
embedded architectures.

Spending most of my Debian time with scientific packages, I see a gain
of speed on those routines as particularly rewarding. And this may also
be a feature that would attract many to our platform as an extra
advantage over the regular self-built or downloaded binary.

Opinions?

Steffen